If you are looking to purchase a used car, it is always a good idea to have an independent mechanic do a pre purchase inspection. A professional technician knows what to look for, and how to look for it. You don’t want to buy a vehicle, only to have it break down on you. You want to avoid any big, unexpected expenses.
Identifying potential problems with a car, and documenting the cost of required repairs, can be a very powerful price negotiating tool.
For a serious buyer, the seller of a used car should always be willing to let you have it checked out. If a seller is unwilling to let you have a pre purchase inspection – that should tell you something about both the car, and the seller.
At American and Foreign Garage, we offer a pre-purchase inspection of vehicle mechanical systems. We will check for things such as:
– ECU: we can scan the ECU, look for problems, pending codes, or signs of a recent reset.
– Brakes: Examine wear surfaces and friction material for unusual wear and estimate service life remaining.
– Leaks: Fuel, Engine oil, transmission oil/fluid, differential oil, power steering, coolant, etc.
– External Belts: Cracks, fraying, general condition, idlers/tensioners
– Hoses: leakage, cracking, dry-rot, collapsing
– Battery: Age, condition, starting output
– Alternator & Starter: Alternator output voltage, starter function and engagement
– CV Axles: Signs of wear, torn/missing boots
– Exhaust: leakage, excessive corrosion
– Motor & Transmission Mounts
– Driveline components: excessive play in U-joints, etc.
– Suspension: leaking shocks/struts, worn bushings, etc.
Our baseline inspection service includes an estimate of repairs required to bring the vehicle back into spec for performance and safe operation.
The price of this pre-purchase inspection service is $40.
Call the shop at 801-261-8903 to request an appointment:
For those customers who want an even more in-depth assessment of vehicle condition, we offer additional inspection services. Some of these options include:
– Engine compression test.
– Mechanics test drive – we can thoroughly exercise all of the mechanical systems.
– Alignment check
Cars are expensive. They can be expensive to maintain and repair. A small up-front investment can yield big dividends, giving you the knowledge needed to make a smarter, better informed, purchase decision.